I need to upgrade sensor versions according to the sensor groups they're in. What are my options?
Managing sensor versions via the console
To view and change sensor version upgrade settings on existing groups within the Carbon Black EDR (Response) console:
- Navigate to the Sensors page.
- Click on the Settings gear for the group that you wish to view or change.
- Expand the section titled Upgrade Policy. This displays the effective policies for the selected sensor group. The upgrade policy is set independently for each operating system.
Create a new sensor group to perform testing
- From the Sensors page, click NEW on the group section. Be very careful when creating a new sensor group, as incorrect settings can result in the loss of sensors that are already deployed.
IMPORTANT: The Server URL value should auto-populate, or you can copy it from an existing group. This is the sensor checkin URL. Do not use the URL in your browser's address bar.
- Configure the new group so that member endpoints receive the desired software version. This can be done under the Upgrade Policy section by choosing:
- "Always upgrade to the latest version" - Use this if you want to maintain a group that always runs the latest available version. NOTE: Endpoints may receive new software without any notice.
- "Automatically upgrade to a specific version" - Use this to perform controlled tests of specific software versions. You will need to select a version in order to use this option.
Add endpoints to the test group
Once the new group has been created and the Server URL value checked for accuracy, move any sensors that you plan to utilize for testing into this new group. Sensors will be updated to the desired software version the next time that they check in (usually within minutes).
Perform your internal verification process at this time.
Upgrade production sensor group(s)
If no issues are encountered during testing, apply the same upgrade settings to existing sensor groups. This will upgrade all endpoints in the group to the desired version.